4-5 lb Bone-In Leg of Lamb
10 garlic cloves
Rosemary or Herbes de Provence to taste, fresh or dry
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 to 3 C of red wine (or water or lamb stock)
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Blend the onion, garlic, and rosemary or Herbes de Provence into a paste.
3. Rub the meat with the lemon juice.
4. Make slits in the lamb and rub the onion paste thoroughly over and into the meat.
5. Salt & Pepper all over to taste.
6. Place the meat in a roasting pan and pour the wine into the bottom of the pan. Use enough liquid (wine, water, stock, or any combination of the three) to cover the bottom of the pan and about 1/3 of the meat.
7. Place in the oven for 2-4 hours, depending on the size of the leg (the bigger the better in our humble opinion) and your preference for doneness. We like ours when the meat is fork tender.
Excellent dish utilizing Braised Leg of Lamb leftovers
1 lb braised or roasted leg of lamb
2 T butter
1 C onions chopped finely
1/2 C carrots chopped finely
1/2 C celery chopped finely
1/2 C mushrooms chopped
2 T parsley chopped finely
3 T flour
2 T tomato paste
1/2 C red wine
2 C lamb stock
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 C cooked fresh or frozen peas
2 C or more of mashed potatoes
Grated sharp cheddar cheese
1. Cut the meat into 1/4" cubes. Set aside.
2. Heat the butter in a saucepan and add the onions, carrots, celery, mushrooms, and parsley. Cook, stirring, until the onions are wilted.
3. Sprinkle with flour and stir with a wire whisk. Add the tomato paste, wine, and stock, stirring rapidly with the wire whisk. Let simmer 10 minutes and stir in the cubed meat and peas. Adjust salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes longer.
4. Preheat oven to 350 F.
5. Put the meat and sauce in a 2 quart casserole. Spread the mashed potatoes evenly on top of the meat mixture, covering it completely. Sprinkle evenly with cheese and place the dish in the oven.
6. Bake 30-45 minutes, or until the dish is piping hot throughout and the cheese is melted.
Great with Lamb Kofta or our Merguez Sausage
2-3 cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 C lemon juice
1 C Tahina
Enough water to make a soupy paste
1. Crush garlic.
2. Mix in lemon juice, salt, & cumin.
3. Add Tahina and mix until it begins to thicken.
4. Add water to desired consistency.
Great with Lamb Kofta, Braised Leg of Lamb, or our Merguez Sausage
1/4 C cucumber (approx.)
1 clove of garlic
Chopped spearmint leaves to taste (fresh is best but dried will work)
8 oz. greek yogurt or Labne
Salt to taste
1. Dice cucumber finely (remove seeds if they are large).
2. Crush garlic or dice very finely.
3. Chop mint finely.
4. Add all the ingredients to the yogurt and mix thoroughly.
5. Salt to taste.
This sauce is delicious with the Braised Leg of Lamb or try a variation of it using spring onion instead of garlic, and dill instead of mint.